Monday, November 12, 2007

Cancer (in pets)

It seems to me lately that cancer is pervading the lives of everyone I know and love. Throat cancer, brain cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, luekemia, melanoma, and lymphoma have affected my immediate friends and family. It is almost impossible not to become a bit of a hypochondriac. After all, catching "it" early can be a lifesaver.

I have recently discovered that more and more pets are also getting cancer. Today, a friend told me that she and her husband decided to have chemotherapy administered to their dog. This is a very tough decision to make. Should we do the same or similar things for our pets that we do for our other loved ones?

Rather than answer these tough questions, I would rather we found a cure. Is it possible? Will it ever be? Perhaps we need more scientists and less lawyers.

No comments: